Frequently Asked Questions

marquardt Middle School


Q: What time does school start and end?

Middle School Chorus, Band and Orchestra students begin at 7:20 am and may enter the building beginning at 7:10 am.  All other classes begin at 7:55 am.  Students in grades 6-8 may arrive at school at 7:40 am.  The school entry bell will ring at 7:48 am.  On Mondays, dismissal for Middle School will be at 2:20 pm.   Tuesdays through Fridays, dismissal will be at 3:05 pm.

Q: What if my child is absent from school?

When a student is going to be absent from school, parents should call the absence in to the school before 8:00 a.m. or as soon as possible to inform the school for the reason of absence.  The school will attempt to contact those parents who have not called school within two hours of the start of the school day.  If no contact has occurred between the home and the school, the student should bring a written excuse from home on first day back to school.  Three or more days of consecutive absence may require a doctor’s note.

Q: What do I do if I have to pick my student up early from school?

Please call the school office to notify the secretary.

Q: Who qualifies for bus service?

Bus service is provided for students who live within the boundaries of the District and live one and one-half miles or more from school.  District 15 students who are assigned to schools other than their home school may be eligible for bus transportation.  Student bus schedules are distributed in August prior to the opening of school. 

Q: I need to change the way my student goes home from school (i.e. picked up by a different person, walking home with someone else instead of taking the bus, etc). Whom do I call?

Please call the school office.

Q: Whom do I contact if I need to request a change to a bus or bus stop?

All change requests to buses or bus stops can be made by contacting the main office. All requests will be addressed by administration and determined with the best interest of all students in mind.

Q: What is the Powerschool Parent/Student Portal?

The PowerSchool Parent/Student Portal is a feature of the PowerSchool Student Information System that provides parents/students immediate access to grades, assignments and attendance records in an effort to facilitate and improve communication between home and school.

Q: What if I have changes to information such as a phone number, address, or emergency contacts?

Please contact the school office immediately.

Q: How will I be notified in case of a school closing?

Due to inclement weather and other hazardous conditions, school may be cancelled. When such conditions occur, the automated phone message system will be activated via a robo call and email message. It is vitally important that the school office have a current, working phone number to contact parents/guardians.

Q: How do I register my child for school?

In order to ensure that only residents of District 15 have children enrolled in the schools, the Board of Education requires all registering students to prove each year, that they reside in the District.  Proof of residency is the responsibility of the registering parent.  Residency documents can be obtained online by going to the Registration section on your school website and hard copies can be picked up from your child’s school office or from the District Office. 

Q: What are the 8th grade promotion requirements?

In addition to the core curriculum requirements, each 8th grade student must pass an examination regarding the state and federal governments, the Declaration of Independence, and the American flag.

Q: What if I lose my I.D. card?

If a card is lost, stolen or destroyed, the student needs to immediately acquire a new card from the office.  The initial identification card is free.  New I.D. cards will be replaced at cost. At the beginning of the year, identification cards will be issued to Middle School students.  Middle School students need to have their I.D. cards at all times.  These cards are used for bus assignments, fee collections, library circulation, and entrance to school activities.  

food & Nutrition

Q. Where can I obtain a Meal Application

Applications are available online on the Food and Nutrition website at  or you may apply online at You will need your student’s I.D. number to apply online. Please call our Food Service Dept. at 630-469-7615 x1171 if you do not know your child’s ID number. You may also pick up an application at your child's school office or print one off our website.

Q: What is the cost for school breakfast or lunch?

Breakfast Prices:  Student: $1.75 Reduced: $.30                                          Lunch Prices:  Student (Middle School): $3.00

Q: How do I pay for school meals?

Online payments can be made with credit or debit cards for both Elementary and Middle School students. Please log on to our website at  Select pre-payment options and this will instruct you how to pay online using the link.  You will need your student’s I.D. number to set up an online account. Please call our Food Service Dept. at 630-469-7615 x1171 if you do not know your child’s ID number.

Q: What is the Elementary Negative Balance Procedure?

If an elementary student has a negative balance in their meal account a negative balance reminder will be sent home with the student. We ask that when the negative notice is sent home that money is sent with the student the following day. Students will not be able to have a negative balance higher than -$5.50. If the student comes thru the lunch line and has a negative balance of -$5.50 or more, they will not be able to receive the entrée that day. However, we do not want your child to go without eating, so we will provide them with an alternate meal.  Students will also not be allowed to take a breakfast if their balance exceeds $-5.50. The alternate meal for breakfast is fruit and a milk.

Q: What if my child has food allergies?

If you require a modified menu for your student due to severe food allergies, please complete the Modified Menu Request Form and return it to your school’s office. You may pick up this form from your school health office or print one from the Health Services page on the website.

health services

Q: When should I keep my child home?

  • When he/she has had a fever of 100° or more within the last 24 hours.
  • When he/she has thrown up or had diarrhea within the last 24 hours.
  • When he/she has a rash that has not been seen by a doctor.
  • When he/she has pinkeye that has not been treated for 24 hours.

Q: My student has medication needs during the day. What do I need to do?

Medication will be administered at school only when necessary for the critical health and well being of the student. Prior to dispensing any medications, a medication form needs to be completed by the parents and physician. The medication permission form can be printed on the Health Services page of the school website or picked up at your child’s school.

Q: When is the dental form due?

Dental forms are due on May 15th .

Q: Where can I get a dental form?

You may pick up a dental form from the dentist or the school health office.

Q: When is the eye exam due?

The eye exam form is due October 15th.

Q: Where can I get the eye exam form?

You may pick up the eye exam form from the eye doctor or the school health office.

Q: Where can I get an eye exam for my child?

You can get an eye exam for your child at any optometrist's office.

Q: My child has a fever, when can they return?

Your child can return when he or she has been fever free without medication for 24 hours.

Q: My child has pinkeye, when can they return?

Your child may return 24 hours after starting antibiotics for pinkeye.

Q: My child had head lice, when can they return?

Your child may return immediately after treatment with the proper shampoo.

Q: Can’t you just give my child some Tylenol?

The school health office is cannot give your child Tylenol without a doctor’s note.